Newsletter

Subscribe

Search this site

Partner Login



easybeinggreen: Large scale energy retrofit program PDF Print E-mail
Wednesday, 16 March 2005 05:57
At the Sustainable Living Fair in melbourne in Feb 2005, i was impressed by "easybeinggreen", they have a plan to see 70% of Australian homes reduce energy consumption by 30% in 10 years. Two things impressed me about the effort 1: Scale, reducing emissions by a few percent is a step in the right direction, but isn't going to keep carbon below 400ppm, and temperature gain below 2 degrees. We urgently need bold attempts that are at the right scale to make substantial difference to our emissions, i.e. reduce consumption by 30% then get the remaining 70% from mostly renewable sources etc. Related to this, i like the thought they've put into doing things efficiently at scale, for example Nic Frances, described to me the cost-savings from using a cherry-picker to put plumbers onto roofs rather than spending a couple of days building scaffolding and another taking it down. 2: Consumer impact focus, too many people expect people to just do the right thing, with unsurprisingly small take-up. Easybeinggreen have thought through the disruption - everything is done by a multi-discipline team over one or two days. They've also thought through the costing, working with more progressive banks (e.g. ANZ) so that the capital cost is added to existing mortgages, at which point energy savings approximate increased payments. I hope they can scale their idea beyond their current Melbourne base, and achieve the impacts we desperately need.
 

Comments