Sunday, 25 March 2007 07:00
Gore recently testified to the US house and senate, and made some serious recommendations .
There is an article about them on Grist.
They are serious recommendations getting to 90% reduction by 2050 (the sort of numbers the labor party should be talking about if they want to be a serious OPPOSITION). A summary of the recommendations are below, and there is a video of his opening statement.
- An immediate "carbon freeze" that would cap U.S. CO2 emissions at current levels, followed by a program to generate 90% reductions by 2050.
- Start a long-term tax shift to reduce payroll taxes and increase taxes on CO2 emissions.
- Put aside a portion of carbon tax revenues to help low-income people make the transition.
- Create a strong international treaty by working toward "de facto compliance with Kyoto" and moving up the start date for Kyoto's successor from 2012 to 2010.
- Implement a moratorium on construction of new coal-fired power plants that are not compatible with carbon capture and sequestration.
- Create an "ELECTRANET" -- a smart electricity grid that allows individuals and businesses to feed power back in at prevailing market rates.
- Raise CAFE standards.
- Set a date for a ban on incandescent light bulbs.
- Create "Connie Mae," a carbon-neutral mortgage association, to help defray the upfront costs of energy-efficient building.
- Have the SEC (US equivalent of ASIC) require disclosure of carbon emissions in corporate reporting, as a relevant "material risk."
Recent articles from Mitra's blog