The Virtual Reality Modeling Language
Version 2.0, ISO/IEC CD 14772
August 4, 1996
This document is the official and complete specification of the
Virtual Reality Modeling Language, (VRML), Version 2.0.
The Foreword provides background on the standards process for
VRML, and Introduction describes the conventions used in the
specification. The following annexes define the specifications for VRML:
1. Scope defines the problems that VRML addresses.
2. References lists the normative standards referenced in
3. Definitions contains the glossary of terminology used
in the specification.
4. Concepts describes various fundamentals of VRML.
5. Nodes defines the syntax and semantics of VRML.
6. Fields specifies the datatype primitives used by
7. Conformance describes the minimum support requirements
for a VRML implementation.
There are several appendices included in the specification:
A. Grammar presents the BNF for the VRML file format.
B. Examples includes a variety of VRML example files.
C. Java describes how VRML scripting integrates with
E. Bibliography lists the informative, non-standard
topics referenced in the specification.
F. The Index lists the concepts, nodes, and fields
in alphabetical order.
The Document Change Log summarizes significant changes to this
document and Credits lists the major contributors to this